2 Jun 2011

'I will continue to speak without fear'

OUTSPOKEN Tan Sri Robert Phang Miow Sin, who has just been cleared by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) of bribery allegations, said what happened will not deter him from highlighting the truth about matters affecting the nation."I will continue to speak without fear as the nation needs daring speakers like myself," said Phang, who is in his 70s, when interviewed by The Malay Mail.
"Since I'm very outspoken on various issues, some people have tried to stop me."

Phang resigned as a member of MACC's consultation and corruption prevention panel soon after an anonymous blogger's allegation in January that he tried to bribe a senior government official, a secretary general of a ministry, before Hari Raya last year, to induce the awarding of RM900 million worth of contracts.
The blogger also said Phang had hidden bribe money in a T-shirt and that the senior government official had told Phang to get out of his office.


"It saddens me when people resort to creating lies but the truth will always prevail in the end," said Phang who left his MACC position in order for the commission to investigate him."I stepped down as a challenge to the accusers to come forward and the fact they did not shows they are irresponsible cowards."Phang said if any more bloggers spread malicious lies about him, he would continue to stand up to them."Bloggers who make accusations should have the integrity and courage to identify themselves," he said, adding during MACC's investigation, he also engaged the services of a lawyer and private detective to assist in the commission's investigations.

"During my ordeal, I was fortunate to have moral support from various people, including former Attorney-General Tan Sri Abu Talib Othman, and I told them there was no need to worry as the allegations were totally baseless.Unfortunately, the anonymous blogger who accused me could not be traced."



Source : http://www.mmail.com.my/content/73737-i-will-continue-speak-without-fear

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tan Sri, since you have been cleared by MACC, I think it is about time the blogger who made the accusation are taken out to dry.