18 Mar 2011

Q&A Session: Robert Phang

Below is the first part of the Q&A session of the 7th Teh Tarik Session featuring former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s (MACC) panelist Tan Sri Robert Phang Miow Sin held today at Killiney Kopitiam, Sooka Sentral:


Q1 - Lee Slim Shady (Blogger):

What happen to the case of V K Lingam, the first case that were reported by Angkatan Muda Keadilan (AMK) to MACC, what MACC has done about it?

Robert Phang: It looks like me, sound like me, but it is not me. That is the answer. The operation committee has very well studied that case. We have the principle among our five committees, that any decision made by the committees, we do not want to get ourselves involve any further. The right person to answer this question is the Chief Director of MACC, Tan Sri Abu Kasim.

Q2 - Reporter (Bernama TV):

Earlier today I attended an MACC function, the Anti-Corruption Hotline launch officiated by Minister in the Prime Minister Office, V K Liew. According to the findings of the Global Corruption Barometer survey, when MACC was formed in 2009, the Malaysian public only had 29 percent confidence in government efforts in relegating corruption, and now it has increase up to 48 percent. Do you think that the Malaysian public right now is misled by the survey or the survey is just a joke?


RP: Okay, I think I can speak with authority in the sense I was once with the Transparency Committee. During the time I was there was a methodology of which they have put to use to gauge the indexes up and down. At the time when I was there, we always have different opinions (of the methodology). So much so, that I had challenged the Transparency International. Then, the president was Datuk Paul Lau, he resigned, he resign because I think he realized he made a mistake. Subsequently, we have another round of EGM, and he was reelected.

Whether or not the methodology that is being adopted to determine the indexes has improved or not, I do not know. But I can tell you, I have suggested to Chief Commissioner Abu Kasim, not only MACC should be invited to attend the transparency index discussion. So that you know, whether they are doing the right thing, the right methodology, to sort of get you the right data, that part I’m not too sure, but of course V K Liew, I hope he will be able to do a little bit more of homework.



Q3 - Jafree (Malaysian Digest):

I would like to ask you, what is the difference between the role of MACC and the role of the AG’s Chambers, what are their limitations?

RP:
One thing in common, AG appointment is by the Agong, so does the Chief Commissioner. So past and parcel, they are the same. But of course AG office is the top law office of the government MACC is fully responsible for investigation, it is still very independent, in the context of investigation. Then they have the DPP from AG office t help to determine whether the case will be preceded or not. This is the area that until today I don’t know how the public feels. But for me it is not right. That is my stand within MACC.


Q4 - Jafree (Malaysian Digest)

You resigned from your post. Somehow it looks like you are running away from your responsibility, and can you share with us your reason for doing so?
RP:
I took the decision, I was asked to stay by the committee, even by the chief commissioner Abu Kasim. I told Abu Kasim, (for me) to stay is not right. Every allegation is serious. It cannot be an alleged person here involved in investigation.

I already taught many, many times. I wake up very early in the morning. That particular morning I took a decision, I said I must resign, and allow the MACC to carry on with an investigation on me. So they don’t have chance to say, to implicate, that Robert Phang still remain to influenced the investigation.

I hope whoever said that I’m a coward who ran away from facing the music, please understand. The only way for me to keep and preserve the honor and integrity of MACC and Robert Phang is to resign and allow the investigation to take place. So I hope the media will help to clear this and that I’m not a coward.


Q5 Reporter (Bernama TV)

The anonymous blogger still remain anonymous or do we know who he is?

RP:
Until today, my private investigator has not been able trace the blogger. But it doesn’t mean that I will stop tracing him. I spoke to the MACC this morning, they are still all out to trace the blogger. It’s funny. If MACC also fail to trace the blogger, where is the system?


Q6 Hishamuddin Rais (MC/Blogger)

To be fair Tan Sri, please let us know the name of the blogger, let us help the MACC to trace down the blogger.

RP:
Are you ready, to the best information that I received, someone sent me an SMS saying “Tan Sri, go all out to trace this guy – Bujai Jelani.” 



Source: http://www.malaysiandigest.com/features/19130-teh-tarik-session-featuring-robert-phang-qaa-session.html

No comments: