10 Dec 2010

Teoh's inquest to wrap up next Friday

After nearly one and a half years, the inquest into Teoh Beng Hock's death is expected to come to a close next Friday when three parties involved would make their final submissions. The three parties are the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), Teoh's family and the Selangor government.
In a text message reply to Malaysiakini, MACC prosecution chief Abdul Razak Musa said that all three parties will make their submissions before Coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas at the Shah Alam High Court.

But Teoh's family lawyer Gobind Singh Deo said that written submissions must be made by today before the submissions proper next Friday.

Following this, the coroner is expected to take some time to study the submissions before making a final decision.

The inquest began on July 29 last year after outcry over the suspicious manner of Teoh's death following his visit to the Selangor MACC headquarters at Plaza Masalam, Shah Alam on July 18.

His body was found sprawled on the fifth floor landing of the building a day later. He was believed to have plunged from the MACC's 14th floor office window.

Teoh was called in for investigations to assist investigations against his boss Ean Yong Hian Wah who was accused of misappropriation of funds.

During the inquest, government pathologists claim that there was no foul play but Thai pathologist Dr Pornthip Rojanasunand, engaged by the Selangor government, reported the contrary.

After personally observing the second autopsy, Pornthip opined that there were evidence of pre-fall injuries and was certain that Teoh did not commit suicide.

Following this, the MACC's lawyers attempted to discredit Pornthip's testimony, to much comic effect. The video recording of this is heavily circulated on the internet.
Source : http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/150457

No comments: