8 Jul 2013

Phang: I did not apologise to Wee

KUALA LUMPUR: Social Care Foundation chairman Robert Phang said today that an apology to MCA Youth chief Wee Ka Siong was never a part of an out-of-court settlement reached with the former minister recently.

On Feb 9, Wee filed a defamation suit, naming Phang and the Star Publications as defendants over four articles published between Dec 25, 2009 and Jan 12, 2010.

Wee, the former deputy education minister, claimed that the articles were understood to mean that he was involved in, or committed corruption and abuse of power. Phang, 71, in his defence said his statements were fair comment and were made on an occasion of qualified privilege On July 2, both parties agreed to the out-of-court settlement with no admission of liabilities.

High Court Judge Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamad recorded the settlement in chambers. The court also did not make any order as to costs. Today, Phang hit out at the Star’s July 4 report on the matter, saying it was inaccurate and biased.

“The article appears to be a one sided, giving readers the impression that I had apologised to Wee Ka Siong and admitted liability as part of the settlement. This is wrong and unethical reporting

“I did not apologise to Wee and and there was no admission of liability on my part,” said Phang.

 “I executed a mutually agreed to settlement letter and in return Wee was to withdraw his defamation suit against me with no liberty to file afresh, and without admission of liability by me.

“I hope that the Star can report the whole thing again. Call me and I am willing to give the full version. They should retract the article and replace it with a fair story incorporating all key points,” said Phang.

When asked if he was planning to sue the newspaper, Phang said it’ll be a waste of his time to so -


Source:  http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2013/07/08/phang-i-did-not-apologise-to-wee/#sthash.UrrpyILY.dpuf

No comments: